Gravatar for christopher.gutmanis@aurora.org

Question by cmgutmanis, Feb 4, 2015 3:51 PM

Search from Sitecore returns no results

Hi,

I'm running into a fairly similar issue that I've seen posted before but I was unable to find any resolution to it. In short, I have 2 Azure VMs: VM1 is CES, VM2 is sitecore/coveo api. When I search @uri (or anything else) in the admin tool on VM1, I get expected results. Searching on VM2, either through the page editor or published page created from Coveo template yields no results for any queries.

The CES diagnostic console logs my queries from sitecore as follows:

  Query (@fisz32xdisplayedz32xinz32xsearchz32xresults14744=="1") performed by sitecore\myuser [Sitecore Security Provider for myMachine-myInstance ]. 0 results in 0.016 seconds.

In the admin tool, my permissions on all three indices look like this: [x] Index security permissions and specify additional security permissions to index

sitecore\myuser || Sitecore Security Provider for myMachine-myInstance

It definitely looks like my queries are at least hitting the index but I can't figure out what I'm missing as far as configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Replies
Gravatar for lbergeron@coveo.com

Answer by Luc Bergeron, Feb 4, 2015 4:01 PM

There is probably a configuration issue with the security provider. You can try to rebuild the index security cache manually. See http://onlinehelp.coveo.com/en/ces/7.0/Administrator/refreshingsecuritycaches.htm. Then check the CES logs to see if there is an error.

Let me know how it goes

Gravatar for christopher.gutmanis@aurora.org

Comment by cmgutmanis, Feb 4, 2015 4:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I started rebuilding the cache and almost immediately the logs started blowing up with "fatal exception: class CSP:Fatal exception: Unable to connect to Sitecore.

Do I need to do something else on the CES side of this because it's sitting on a different machine than my Sitecore instance?

Gravatar for lbergeron@coveo.com

Comment by Luc Bergeron, Feb 4, 2015 4:54 PM

Since CES and Sitecore are on different machines, the first thing to check is the "ServerUrl" setting (in Coveo.SearchProvider.config). It is the URL the security provider (CES) will use to connect to the Sitecore instance in order to resolve permissions.

For instance if the Sitecore machine name is "MySitecore", then the "ServerUrl" setting should look like this:

<ServerUrl>http://MySitecore/</ServerUrl>

You must be able to reach the Sitecore instance from the CES server.

Gravatar for lbergeron@coveo.com

Comment by Luc Bergeron, Feb 4, 2015 4:56 PM

This page may also help you: https://developers.coveo.com/display/SC201501/Setting+Up+Coveo+for+Sitecore+in+a+Remote+Server+Configuration

Gravatar for christopher.gutmanis@aurora.org

Comment by cmgutmanis, Feb 5, 2015 10:41 AM

thank you. I missed setting the absolute DNS name in the and refreshing the cache seems to have fixed the issue. thank you guys so much for the help.

Gravatar for lbergeron@coveo.com

Comment by Luc Bergeron, Feb 5, 2015 10:47 AM

Great! Glad to be helpful

Gravatar for jflheureux@coveo.com

Answer by Jean-François L'Heureux, Feb 4, 2015 3:59 PM

When doing queries in the CES Admin Tool Index Browser, the queries are executed as your Active Directory account, not by your Sitecore user account. That might explain the difference in the number of results.

Is the Diagnostic Page green for the "Security Provider" test? I think that the Security Provider inside CES cannnot access the Sitecore instance in order to expand and resolve the securities.

Normally, you shouldn't have to set additional security permissions to index on your CES sources.

In the CES Index Browser, can you check the "Permissions" tab of the "Details" section of a result you think "sitecore\myuser" should have access. Check the effective combined permissions to see if the user is allowed or denied on the document.

Gravatar for christopher.gutmanis@aurora.org

Comment by cmgutmanis, Feb 4, 2015 4:08 PM

Thanks for the response.

I realize that the index queries are running under AD; what I'm trying to do is give my sitecore user account (roughly) the same level of accessibility; currently it seems to have none.

It seems as though everything in the document reads "No user or group to display" under the Effective Combined Permissions tab.

Gravatar for jflheureux@coveo.com

Comment by Jean-François L'Heureux, Feb 4, 2015 4:15 PM

Coveo for Sitecore automatically extracts the permissions on Sitecore items and sets them on the indexed documents. You shouldn't have to do it manually. If your Sitecore user has access to the Sitecore items, he should be able to retrieve those items in a search query.

Your "No user or group to display" confirms a Security Provider problem.

You should set your sources to "Index security permissions" and rebuild your indexes from Sitecore. Check the Sitecore logs and CES logs to detect any security problem.

If it doesn't work, do what lbergeron suggests in the other answer.

Ask a question