Receiving Activation failed: Error when activating Coveo for Sitecore 5
I recently installed Coveo for Sitecore 5 on an instance of Sitecore 9.0.2. After installing the package I went to https://[my instance]/coveo/command-center/index.html to activate using my cloud account. When I do I receive an Activation failed: Error message with no available details.
When digging into the problem I noticed the following endpoints:
are all returning 404. When I go to the API docs page it is also coming up empty. https://[my instance]/coveo/api/config/docs/index
Something is wrong with the install, but I can't figure out what. I'm not seeing any relevant errors in the Sitecore logs.
I found the problem. I had tweaked the configs some time ago to speed up Sitecore's spin-up time. It was one of these that caused the problem. Specifically it was adding optimizeCompilations="true" to the compilation node in the web.config.
<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" targetFramework="4.6.2" optimizeCompilations="true">
After removing that and restarting IIS the endpoints reappeared and I was able to activate Coveo.