Gravatar for kenneth.smith@velir.com

Question by kenneths, Aug 6, 2014 11:54 AM

Unable to access Sitecore or restart security provider

Hello,

I have been using Coveo successfully for a time on a local Sitecore site, and then one day (for no reason as far as I can tell) my Coveo stopped working and I noticed the security provider was marked as invalid. I tried to restart it, but got this message: "Unable to restart the Sitecore Security Provider for VSLT-6RZY8Z1-Commonwealth security provider: Refer to the system logs for more details."

The log has these errors:

ERROR 11:39:28 AM An error occurred while initializing the Blade "MySecurityProviderName" (ID #49): Unexpected exception in method 'InitBlade': System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.The request failed with an empty response. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.The request failed with an empty response. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Coveo.CNL.WebServices.WebServiceUtilities.InvokeWithCallBack(InvokeMethodDelegate pInvokeMethod, SoapCallBack pSoapCallBack, String pMethodName, Object[] pParameters) at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.SitecoreWS.SitecoreWebService.GetSiteDatabase(String pTargetSite) at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.Connection.Sitecore2Connection.GetSiteDatabaseName() at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.Configuration.Sitecore2ConnectorConfiguration.InitializeDatabase(GetDefaultValueDelegate pGetDatabaseNameDelegate) at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.Connection.Sitecore2Connection.Initialize() at Coveo.CES.CustomCrawlers.Sitecore2.Security.Sitecore2SecurityProvider.InitSecurityProvider() at Coveo.CES.SecurityProviders.Framework.SecurityProviderBase.<>cDisplayClass1a.b19() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Coveo.CES.SecurityProviders.Framework.SecurityProviderBase.ExecuteMonitoredCall(MonitoredCall pMonitoredCall) at Coveo.CES.SecurityProviders.Framework.SecurityProviderBase.InitBlade(BladeDefinitionConfig pBladeConfig)

ERROR 11:39:28 AM NodeId #47: An error occurred while initializing the Blade "MySecurityProviderName" (ID #49): Unexpected exception in method 'InitBlade': System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.The request failed with an empty response. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.The request failed with an empty response. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Coveo.CNL.WebServices.WebServiceUtilities.InvokeWithCallBack(InvokeMethodDelegate pInvokeMethod, SoapCallBack pSoapCallBack, String pMethodName, Object[] pParameters) at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.SitecoreWS.SitecoreWebService.GetSiteDatabase(String pTargetSite) at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.Connection.Sitecore2Connection.GetSiteDatabaseName() at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.Configuration.Sitecore2ConnectorConfiguration.InitializeDatabase(GetDefaultValueDelegate pGetDatabaseNameDelegate) at Coveo.Connectors.Sitecore2.Connection.Sitecore2Connection.Initialize() at Coveo.CES.CustomCrawlers.Sitecore2.Security.Sitecore2SecurityProvider.InitSecurityProvider() at Coveo.CES.SecurityProviders.Framework.SecurityProviderBase.<>cDisplayClass1a.b19() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Coveo.CES.SecurityProviders.Framework.SecurityProviderBase.ExecuteMonitoredCall(MonitoredCall pMonitoredCall) at Coveo.CES.SecurityProviders.Framework.SecurityProviderBase.InitBlade(BladeDefinitionConfig pBladeConfig)

I have had this in the past. Then I simple re-entered the password for the security provider and everything was working fine again. This time, however, I have re-entered the password several different times and it still doesn't work. I have tried switching the security provider to use the Sitecore\Admin account and that still doesn't work. I know the username/passwords are correct because I can log directly into Sitecore with them.

I have also restarted the coveo service and that didn't change a thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies
Gravatar for vseguin@coveo.com

Answer by Vincent Séguin, Aug 6, 2014 5:31 PM

Hi,

It seems something doesn't work anymore from Sitecore side… You could go on the Sitecore server and try to access the web service directly to get the real error. The url would be something like :

http://mySitecoteInstance/sitecore%20modules/Web/Coveo/WebService/SitecoreWebService.asmx

You should see a list of available calls. If you're directly on the Sitecore server, you can try to invoke a simple call such as 'GetDomainNames'. If you get an error there (you should normally see the call, or see a 'you provided no credentials' error depending on your version), it means something's wrong, but at least you will be able to troubleshoot.

Let us know how it goes!

Gravatar for kenneth.smith@velir.com

Answer by kenneths, Aug 7, 2014 11:47 AM

Hi Vincent,

So it turns out that the Sitecore web services were not set up on my local instance. Once I got those up I could restart the security provider. Once I did that, re-entering the credentials made the security provider valid again and everything is working smoothly.

Thank you for your help--it was indeed a Sitecore problem, though a much more fundamental problem than you anticipated.

Ask a question